The Better Government Association’s Investigative reporting team and media partners have been nominated by the Chicago Headline Club for 10 Peter Lisagor awards, long considered one of the highest honors in local journalism.
The BGA’s Lisagor nominations include:
- Three reporting nominations for BGA Investigations Editor Robert Herguth and FOX 32 News’ Investigative Reporter Dane Placko for “Maywood Confidential“, a joint investigation into the “cold case” killing of a Maywood police officer and subsequent fumbling of that homicide investigation by the suburb’s leaders and law enforcement officials.
- One nomination in the multimedia collaboration category for BGA’s Herguth, FOX 32 News’ Placko and Chicago Magazine’s Senior Editor David Bernstein for their combined work on “Maywood Confidential” which appeared in print, TV and online.
- Three nominations in various reporting categories for Director of Investigations and Programming Robert Reed, Senior Investigator Andrew Schroedter, Senior Investigator Patrick Rehkamp, and BGA contributors Brett Chase and Barbara Rose for the “Rescuing Illinois” series, an in-depth look at the State of Illinois’ financial turmoil, public pension woes and the systemic government breakdowns that hurt taxpayers and the public.
- Two reporting nominations for Senior Investigator Andrew Schroedter and CBS Chicago’s Investigative Reporter Pam Zekman for “Sheriff’s Teenage Son Allowed to Play Cop“, which revealed why a high school-age son of the DuPage County Sheriff was allowed to dress and act like a police officer – including chasing a suspect.
- One nomination for the BGA’s Herguth, Schroedter and Chicago Sun-Times investigative reporters Tim Novak and Chris Fusco for “Milk Money“, a three-part series that revealed how a local dairy company used clout and political connections to win a contract that allowed it to sell milk at seemingly highly-inflated prices to the Chicago Public School system.
The Chicago Headline Club’s 36th annual Peter Lisagor Awards dinner will be held on May 3 at Chicago’s Union League Club.